Interview with artist Jan Min -
1. Who are you and what do you do?
I am Jan Min, watercolorist
I am 63 years old and paint all my life, the last 4 years only in watercolor.
2. Why art? What is your earliest memory of wanting to be an artist?
As a child I started drawing with a lot of enthusiasm. Thirteen years ago I picked up my brushes again, attended the Gooische Academy for five years and did some recent master classes with Alvaro Castagnet.
3. What are your favorite subject(s)?
My most favorite subjects are streetlife, maritime landscapes and cafe interiors.
5. What are the best responses you have had to your work?
This year I was nominated for painting of the year 2014 (initiated by the magazine Atelier) and my works will be published in a prestigious bookwork called Cohen’s Choice, initiated and supported by the organization Kunstweek, who is always looking for talent and is responsible for the election of painter of the year in the Netherlands. I had many exhibitions, and give workshops and courses.
6. What do you like about your work?
The medium watercolor does fascinate me very much. My main goal is to capture light in a mystic atmosphere.
7. What advice would you give to other artists?
My advise for anybody would be to follow your heart, paint with passion and work and excercise!
8. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
I hope that about 5-10 years my style has further developed and spread more and more with (watercolor) art lovers!